I work as Associate Professor at the George Ewart Evans Centre for Storytelling. My research focuses on amplifying little heard personal stories from people whose voices may have been marginalised or overlooked and from the difference that hearing these stories can make in policy, practice and daily life for both teller and listener. I have a particular interest in stories of the maternal, gender, health/illness and heritage.
My research projects include:
- Performance and the Maternal in partnership with Lena Simic, Edge Hill University, funded by the AHRC.
- Fireside Science in partnership with James Kolasinski and Isobel (Cardiff University Brain Research Imaging Centre) and Steve Johnson (University of South Wales), funded by Wellcome Trust.
- Kicking Up Our Heels in partnership with GOSH Arts, Brian Lobel and Emily Speed, funded by Arts Council of England.
- Forty Voices, Forty Years in partnership with Welsh Women’s Aid, funded by Heritage Lottery Fund.
- Storytelling and Health in partnership with ABMU Health Board, funded by Arts Council of Wales, ABMU Charitable Trust, USW, LSW.
- The Heritage of Orchards & Cider Making in Wales in partnership with the Welsh Perry and Cider Society, funded by Heritage Lottery Fund.
I have convened conferences including:
- Maternal Attitude Symposium (in collaboration with Zoe Gingell (Cardiff MADE, the Mothersuckers), and Eve Dent (the Mothersuckers)), Cardiff, 17th November 2018.
- Storytelling for Health 2 (in collaboration with Prue Thimbleby, ABMU Health Board), Cardiff and Swansea, 27 – 29 June 2017.
- Storytelling for Health (in collaboration with Prue Thimbleby, ABMU Health Board), Swansea, 15 – 17 June 2017.
- The annual George Ewart Evans Centre for Storytelling Symposium (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
ORCID id: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2252-7714